Friday, December 28, 2012

Guestpost: Cotton’s 5 Favorite Diet Friendly Drinks!


I am so, so excited to introduce Cotton to you guys! She is one of my favourite bloggers and she also has a fabulous tumblr ;-) She's a recent UF grad, has an impeccable sense of fashion, and a sister of Sigma Kappa. Make sure you go visit her blog and follow her- you won't regret it :)




Hey Y’all! My name is Cotton from Cotton’s Pickins and I am so excited to be guest blogging for Tori today!



One of the most common New Year’s Resolutions is to lose weight. Whether we want to simply get back into pre-holiday shape or to drop 20 lbs in then ext 90 days, most of us have some type of health goal associated with the new year.

When it comes losing weight, most recommend that you do not drink at all because alcohol is “empty calories.”  I did this once and the hardest part for me was learning how to add alcohol back into my diet! Instead, I’ve found a few drinks that will best serve anyone trying not to waste too many of your daily calories on alcohol!

Skinny Pirate
Captain and Coke is a classic, bar friendly option. However, using regular soda as a mixer will throw in an extra 100 calories into each drink! If this is a favorite of yours, too, go for a skinny pirate--Captain and Diet Coke! It’s a great alternative choice and a great “at the bar” option because you know exactly what you are getting!

Cranberry and Vodka
This is another bar-friendly option because it is such a simple choice! Vodka and Cranberry garnished with a lime is the perfect choice for the sweet drink lover. Those super sugary drinks will align with any diet, but the flavors of this class offer a great alternative at only 160 calories per serving!

Wine…in moderation!
This is a tough one for a lot of my college friendly. I see so many girlfriends binge on wine with a “finish the bottle mentality.” One glass of wine, 5oz. is usually 100-110 calories—red or white. I know I personally drink more when I drink a white wine so when I want to stick to sipping, I move towards a red wine.  Wine is an easy option when consumed in moderation!

Bloody Mary
This may come as a shock to many, but as someone who hates tomatoes, I just love me some bloody mary!  The mixer is a tomato juice, which I see as worth the calories (even though it’s not much), especially when you are having a day-drink.  Want to add a little pep to your Bloody Mary? I love adding spicy BBQ rub or jalapenos to my mix for an extra kick! This favorite only packs about 120 calories per serving—including the veggie juice!

Vodka Water + Crystal Light
I picked up this tip from a sorority sister! When she goes to the bar, instead of worrying about what they actually put into your drink, she simply orders a vodka water! Then, once she has the drink in hand, pulls out a packet of crystal light in her favorite flavor and pours it right in!  Since the water had no claories and the Crystal Light is usually 5, you are looking at around 100 calories for your drink! Want a little extra carbonation? Try ordering a vodka and club soda (which also has zero calories) instead!


A go-to for many will always be “light beer” because it is just an “easy” diet choice. My issue with beer is this—all of the carbs in a beer, even light beer, makes me feel bloated later that evening and the next morning. To me, this is a bit counterproductive and not the best option. Plus, most of us will drink a bottle of beer much faster than we will sip on a mixed drink.

Remember to enjoy these drinks in moderation. A diet is all about a lifestyle change and learning to make smarter choices! Hopefully these choices keep you from feeling like you are missing out but allow you to stay on the right track!

Thanks again for letting me take over today! Please stop by Cotton’s Pickins! I’d love to meet some new readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment