Friday, April 27, 2012

Finals Season Study Tips

Finals season is just around the corner, or perhaps have already started for some people.
Mine will start at the end of next week. Can't believe I will be a senior soon. Aah!


I have 2 exams, 1 take home, and a final paper. I am swamped.
On top of that, since it's finals season and people can't take shifts, I will be working more.
Which means I have to be on my A game when it comes to studying on time.
Let me just tell you this though- I SUCK at not procrastinating. I really do.
And let me just say, failing ain't classy! Hence finals clearly has to do with Classic Loving ;)

So here are things that I do to stop myself from procrastinating and study during finals:

1.) Online disaster prevention
We've all had this problem if we are students in the 21st century.
I use pandora for music so I need my internet when I study, but with the internet, I can procrastinate for a good 3 hours at the time. I know that there are programs like Self Control, but hey, you can still get around it by borrowing other people's laptops to check something. (Self Control does help)
I either have my friends change all of my passwords to something and then have them withhold the password from me until I'm done. Granted, you'd have to trust this person. OR you can swap laptops with a friend while you study so that you won't be as inclined to go on other websites while your self control is blocked.


2.) Know your study schedule
Know when you work best- in the mornings, in the afternoon, after a work out, at night, etc.
I work best from about 2-5PM and then from like 9PM-2AM.


3.) Keep your desk clean (and your room) 
I'm not sure how clean ya'll are, but keep your room clean during finals, because I know that a lot of people tend to go into the cleaning frenzy when they need to procrastinate (I'm guilty of it) 
Don't give yourself an excuse to procrastinate! Also, an organized desk is easier to work at.


4.) Be organized about work
Know what readings you've had, which sections you need to study, etc.
Have a handy list of topics you need to cover, assignments you need to look over, which homeworks you've missed (oops...). It really helps if you're organized from the start. Try not to fall behind on readings, try keeping a planner, etc. LISTEN IN CLASS.


5.) If you're studying with friends who are in different classes go to the silent section of the library 
Enough said. If you want to wallow in pity together, go for it.
However, do it in a place where you can't talk so that you won't be distracted.
I either go to the silent section of my library or the intense grad student library where they yell at you to get out when you say "thanks for letting me borrow the pen" (true story!)
Also sit next to your friend so that if you start to go on ruelala or something online they can poke you and make you stop! ;) (It works!)

And last but not least... Take breaks when stressed!
I am an EMT and you have no idea how many panic attack calls we get during finals and midterms.
Guys, it's okay. You will make it through finals alive. Yes, even if you get a 45 on an exam, you will live. (I've actually gotten a 45 on a final my freshman year before, so I speak from experience)
An exam is not worth your going to the ER because of breathing problems- you don't need to be that stressed about finals.
And if you feel like you need to rest, you can rest. You need to rest. Whether it's a quick 2 mile run or an episode of Arrested Development or a nail polish session, do it if you need to.
You concentration will be much better after it.


Good luck all! Let me know how finals go! 

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! I just came across your blog! Please come check mine out as well @ classicglamblog.blogspot.com :: if you like, follow! I will gladly return the favor.

    Best,
    Classic+Glam Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really helpful! It's good to know I'm not the only procrastinator!

    <3,sarahmichellewalsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!

    ramblingsfromyourstruly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete