Saturday, May 4, 2013

Post-Graduation Plans: It's Okay

So I know I have been MIA. 
But with graduation quickly approaching, I was literally being swamped with work. 
Finals on top of extracurriculars on top of job search... 

job search? *gulp*

via

I'm going to be honest with you. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing next year. 

I had a plan, and then at the last minute, it fell through. I cried for a while. But then it was okay. 
Everyone keeps on asking me, "Oh, Tori, what are you doing next year?" Or "You're doing ____ right?" For a while, I would want to shrink away, but then I realized. 

It's okay. 

I don't need to know what I want to do for the rest of my life.
I don't even have to have a "job"right out of college. 
I'm not going to apply for a position that I'm not enthusiastic for just because I need a steady paycheck. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to have my parents support me. 
I work four jobs at college. I worked six days and nights a week high school senior summer and almost every summer after that. As of right now, I won't be "full-time" but I will be working 40 hours/week plus a night job. This is what I realized: I don't have to have my life set right this moment. 

I just don't feel the need to dive right into a "full time job." I have enough time to take a shot at what I want to do. I'll work for the summer, save some money, and decide. 

I know that this is a daunting thing for a lot of people, but it's okay.
Especially in the non-science industry, a lot of kids leave college, get an internship somewhere, and then obtain a full time job from there or get enough experience to go somewhere else after making the connections. It's not a crazy thought. 

A decade ago, people might have expected us to do differently, but it's 2013. 
I'm not going to let the 90's or 80's expectations dictate what I do this day, this year. 
It's unnerving for some people, I know. Because I'm worried too. 
Which means those who like to have plans must be even more worried.

But then, I think. I tell myself that I will take on each day, one at a time, and think about what I want to do, and apply to the jobs I didn't have time to apply to this semester because I was simply too busy. 

And then, I kind of feel okay about it. 
Of course, to those who know what they are doing this summer onward- congratulations!
And to those like me who are waiting to go out into the ocean- we still have time, it'll all be okay :) 


xoxo 

What is everyone doing for the summer and beyond? :) 

I thought this was an especially nice post because it's my 100th post and my-return-to-the-blog post! 

1 comment:

  1. love this!! i just graduated!! keep up the great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete